Jenkins on Transmedia and Audience Engagement
- In Jenkins’ view, five logics are contributing to the emergence of transmedia and the phenomenon of increased fan participation (‘fandom’): - The logic of entertainment, as evidenced by the presence in the US TV schedules of TV series and reality shows;
- - The logic of social connection, highlighted by votes and discussions on social networking sites;
- - The logic of experts, symbolised by the collective intelligence (Levy, 1994true) brought to bear by fans for the purposes of creation, production and discussion. Henry Jenkins cites the examples of the creation of Twin Peaks fan sites and the Lost Wiki (Lostpedia), which both collate articles written by fans to offer greater insight into both series;
- - The logic of immersion, which encourages participation. For example, on Oscars night fans could use a number of interactive tools to immerse themselves in the ceremony and form a community;
- - The logic of identification, which enables fans to establish an identity depending on what they watch.